The Century Foundation’s 2019 Summer Scholars Program
New York, New York
This year, The Century Foundation (TCF) is inviting five scholars to join our office in New York City and spend the summer building new relationships and researching the issues they care about most. We’re now on the hunt for our next class of brilliant scholars, and we are eager to hear from you.
Students and recent graduates are invited to submit an application by February 4, 2019.
For FAQ about the program and application process, click here.
New York, New York
The Century Foundation (TCF)—a think tank promoting progressive ideas and innovative practical solutions that advance opportunity, equality, and security—seeks a proven, successful, hands-on Development Director who will lead our fundraising efforts during this period of exciting growth. TCF is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization funded by revenue from our endowment, grants, and contributions from foundations, individuals, and other partners. TCF is celebrating our centennial in 2019 with initiatives and events that will position us for our next 100 years.
Located in our New York City office, the Development Director is responsible for working with TCF’s leadership on our overall fundraising strategy, and for directing and implementing it in ways that respect, leverage, and enhance the organization’s collaborative, team-building culture. Reporting to TCF’s Chief Operating Officer, the Development Director will be responsible for the smooth running of the organization’s grants management/reporting activities and fund development activities, including donor research, cultivation, and submitting letters/applications for funds.
The Development Director will work closely with leadership and the finance, communications, editorial, policy, and administrative teams. They will bring energy, vision, and creativity to further TCF’s proud record of innovation and achievement.
Grants Development and Management
- In conjunction with foundation leadership, develop and implement strategic and annual resource development goals and plans
- Work with policy teams to set annual and multi-year goals, develop strategies, identify and source new funding opportunities, and submit proposals
- Develop, maintain, and deepen relationships with new and existing foundation contacts through regular communication and visits
- Prepare briefing reports in advance of foundation visits; lead briefing and strategy sessions
- Research foundations, funding guidelines, application deadlines, and other key information
- Develop and manage donor and funder databases and ensure synchronization with financial systems
- Manage grants and track and report on activities
Donor Cultivation and Solicitation
- Refine donor strategy and implement an individual donor initiative/campaign
- Work with communications team to ensure that all external communications support TCF’s fundraising efforts, including the annual report and other promotional materials
- Research, propose, develop, and execute projects to diversify TCF’s funding stream; these might include an annual fund drive, major gifts, planned giving, mailings, membership programs, and events
- Be an ambassador for TCF
Experience of eight years in various development roles in a small development team:
- Proven ability to cultivate funders and implement effective fundraising strategies
- Strong attention to detail, highly organized, able to manage priorities, and meet deadlines
- Ability to work as a hands-on development professional in a team environment with program, communications, finance, and administrative teams
- Public policy experience, preferred
- Willing to roll up sleeves to get the job done and to manage projects/teams/staff
- Competency in donor management database, .e.g, DonorPerfect, and project management system, e.g., Asana
- Strong communication skills, both written and oral
- Energetic, flexible, collaborative, supportive, and proactive
Founded in 1919 by the progressive business leader Edward Filene, TCF is a think tank that pursues our mission by conducting timely, nonpartisan research and policy analysis that informs citizens, guides policymakers, and reshapes what government does for the better.
TCF is at the forefront of positive change in some of the most critical areas of domestic and foreign policy including pursuing fairness and opportunity in education; protecting workers and further strengthening the social safety net; encouraging democracy and ensuring personal rights in the tech age; and promoting stability and prosperity abroad.
Based in New York, with an office in Washington, D.C., our fellows come from academia, journalism, and public service, and share an abiding commitment to the power of ideas.
Please submit a cover letter, résumé and three writing samples to [email protected] Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. No inquiries by third-party vendors and no phone calls please.
The Century Foundation is committed to diversity and building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds. Everyone is encouraged to apply, including LGBTQ people, people of color, and people with disabilities.