Current Job Openings
Chief Operating Officer
The Century Foundation
New York, NY
The Century Foundation (TCF) seeks a proven leader to serve as its Chief Operating Officer (COO). TCF is a progressive, independent think tank that conducts research, develops solutions, and drives policy change to make people’s lives better. We pursue economic, racial, and gender equity in education, health care, and work, and promote U.S. foreign policy that fosters international cooperation, peace, and security.
The COO will be part of the TCF leadership team and will have oversight of finance, compliance, development (fundraising), information technology, human resources, facilities, and administration. The successful candidate will share TCF’s commitment to economic, racial, and gender equity and help build an even more effective, inclusive, and sustainable TCF.
Working in close partnership with and reporting to TCF’s President, the COO will be responsible for the smooth running of the organization’s day-to-day activities. And as a member of the senior management team, the COO will work closely with the President and other members of TCF’s team to support an integrated implementation of the operational plan.
The COO will oversee, manage, and continuously improve the organization’s financial, operational, talent, and development functions consistent with TCF’s strategic and operational goals.
TCF is a public charity that is funded by revenue from its endowment and grants and contributions from individuals and foundations.
Representative Core Responsibilities:
Finance and Accounting
- Advise the President and other key members of senior management on financial planning, budgeting, cash flow, investment priorities, and policy matters.
- Lead the organization’s annual budgeting process, including forecasting and tracking.
- Work with the foundation’s external investment advisors and board Finance Committee.
- Ensure that payroll and benefits are administered and handled efficiently and smoothly.
- Oversee the annual audit and tax process with the independent auditors, working with the board Audit Committee.
- Manage grants through tracking of expenses, reporting.
Operations and HR
- Supervise the Director of Finance and Director of Technology, and provide guidance in their respective supervision of other colleagues.
- Manage the facilities of the foundation’s offices in New York and Washington, D.C., handling both facilities and information technology functions, and ensure that TCF’s workplace protects the health and safety of its employees.
- Help develop and implement policies and practices that further advance diversity, equity, and inclusion within the organization.
- Oversee HR responsibilities, including benefits, medical insurance programs, labor negotiations.
- Work with the President to oversee the performance evaluation process, setting development goals and thresholds of success, setting objectives, and establishing priorities.
- Continue to develop and coordinate staff development programs, including summer scholars, internships, and staff training and development.
Development, Compliance, and Leadership
- Contribute energy, vision, and creativity to TCF’s leadership team, including providing strategic advice.
- Oversee development, fundraising, and grants management efforts.
- Ensure compliance with nonprofit, lobbying, tax, and fundraising regulations at the federal, state, and local levels.
- Represent the organization externally with funders and continue to build relationships with TCF’s community.
Candidate should have at least ten years of prior experience in increasingly senior roles within foundations or nonprofit organizations, with substantial responsibility for and demonstrated knowledge of:
- Strategic planning and thinking at an executive, organization-wide level.
- Strong financial management experience, including budgeting, financial forecasting, and reporting; MBA or CPA a plus.
- Staff development and supervision, particularly in a team-centered organization.
A successful candidate will also possess the following:
- Well-honed understanding of the philanthropic or nonprofit sector and an interest in public policy.
- Strong communication skills, both written and oral.
- Excellent judgment, rooted in a strong ethical base.
- An ability for being energetic, flexible, collaborative, supportive, and proactive.
Please submit a cover letter and résumé to [email protected] Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. No inquiries by third-party vendors and no phone calls please.
The Century Foundation is committed to diversity and building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds. Everyone is encouraged to apply, including LGBTQ people, people of color, and people with disabilities.