The Century Foundation Institute 2017 Summer Internships
This year, The Century Foundation (TCF) is inviting six interns to join our office in New York City and spend the summer building new relationships and researching the issues they care about most. We’re now on the hunt for our next class of brilliant interns, and we are eager to hear from you.
Students and recent graduates are invited to submit an application by February 14, 2017. For FAQ about the program and application process, visit the TCF Institute website.
Grants & Development Director
The Century Foundation (TCF)—a think tank promoting progressive ideas and innovative practical solutions that advance opportunity, equality, and security—seeks a proven, successful, hands-on Grants and Development Director. TCF is an operating foundation funded by revenue from our endowment, grants, and contributions from individuals, foundations, and other entities. TCF, 97-year-old organization, looks forward to celebrating our centennial in 2019 which might include events and campaigns.
Position Description Summary:
The Grants and Development Director is responsible for helping to craft TCF’s overall fundraising strategy, and for directing and implementing it in ways that respect, leverage, and enhance the organization’s collaborative, team-building culture. Reporting to TCF’s Chief Operating Officer, the Grants and Development Director will be responsible for the smooth running of the organization’s grants management/reporting activities, and fund development activities including donor research, cultivation, and submitting letters/applications for funds.
The Grants and Development Director will work closely with leadership, the finance, communications, information technology, programs, and administrative teams. She/he will bring energy, vision, and creativity to further TCF’s proud record of innovation and achievement.
Representative Core Responsibilities:
Grant Development and Management
- Work with program teams to set annual and multi-year goals, develop strategies, identify and source new funding opportunities, and submit proposals
- Develop, maintain and deepen relationships with new and existing foundation contacts through regular communication and visits
- Prepare briefing reports in advance of foundation visits; lead briefing and strategy sessions
- Research foundations, funding guidelines, application deadlines and other key information
- Develop and manage donor and funder databases and ensure synchronization with financial systems
- Manage grants, tracking and report on activities
Donor Cultivation and Solicitation
- Work with communications team to ensure that all external communications support TCF’s fundraising efforts, including the annual report and other promotional materials
- Research, propose, develop and execute projects to diversify TCF’s funding stream. These might include an annual fund drive, major gifts, planned giving, mailings, membership programs, and events
- Be an ambassador for TCF
- Experience of at least five years in various development roles at a small nonprofit organization
- Proven ability to cultivate funders and implement effective fundraising strategies
- Strong attention to detail, highly organized, able to manage priorities, and meet deadlines
- Ability to work as a one-person development shop in a team environment with program, communications, finance, and administrative teams
- Hands-on experience, willing to roll up sleeves to get the job done
- Strong communication skills, both written and oral
- Energetic, flexible, collaborative, supportive, and proactive
Founded in 1919 by the progressive business leader Edward Filene, TCF is a think tank that pursues our mission by conducting timely, nonpartisan research and policy analysis that informs citizens, guides policymakers, and reshapes what government does for the better.
TCF is at the forefront of positive change in some of the most critical areas of domestic and foreign policy including pursuing fairness and opportunity in education; protecting workers and further strengthening the social safety net; encouraging democracy and ensuring personal rights in the tech age; and promoting stability and prosperity abroad.
Based in New York, with an office in Washington, D.C., our fellows come from academia, journalism, and public service, and share an abiding commitment to the power of ideas.
Please submit a cover letter, résumé, three writing samples, and salary history/requirements to [email protected]. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. No inquiries by third-party vendors and no phone calls please.
The Century Foundation is committed to diversity and building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds. Everyone is encouraged to apply, including LGBTQ people, people of color, and people with disabilities.