Education Policy Associate/Senior Policy Associate
The Century Foundation (TCF), a progressive, non-partisan think tank, seeks a policy associate/senior policy associate in the Washington, D.C. office to work closely with the K–12 education team, including education fellows Richard D. Kahlenberg, Halley Potter, and Conor Williams.
Responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
- Researching education policy topics identified by TCF education fellows and preparing background memos.
- Attending think tank and congressional forums and preparing memos summarizing key insights.
- Writing short essays and other content for TCF’s website.
- Participating in the planning and execution of TCF education projects, including publications and events.
- Assisting with communications and outreach, including identifying stakeholders and promoting TCF’s work on social media.
- Providing administrative and logistical support for the education team and TCF events held in D.C.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent education and/or work experience.
- Exceptional research and analytical skills.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Strong organizational and multitasking skills.
- Background in education policy. 1–2 years of previous related experience in public policy and/or education preferred.
- A commitment to looking at education issues through an intersectional lens, recognizing the importance of elevating the experiences of low-income students, LGBTQ+ students, students with disabilities, English learners, and students of color.
- Experience working on or studying some of TCF’s key K–12 education policy areas (especially advancing socioeconomic and racial school integration and addressing housing segregation) is a plus.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office and Google Apps (Google Docs, Sheets, Drive, etc.).
- A commitment to progressive values and interest in TCF’s education research agenda.
Founded in 1919 by the progressive business leader Edward Filene, TCF is a think tank that pursues its mission by conducting timely, nonpartisan research and policy analysis that informs citizens, guides policymakers, and reshapes what government does for the better.
TCF focuses particularly on four basic challenges facing the United States: persistent economic inequality combined with the shift to American households of financial risks previously borne by employers and government; the challenges facing the education and health care systems; and restoring America’s international credibility as an effective and cooperative leader in responding to global security and economic dangers.
TCF is based in New York, with an office in Washington, D.C. Its fellows come from academia, journalism, and public service, but share a commitment to the abiding belief in the power of ideas.
This is a full-time position in our Washington, D.C. office. This role may be structured as a policy associate or senior policy associate, depending on the qualifications of the person hired.
We offer a competitive salary and excellent benefits package to all our selected candidates. To apply, please send resume, cover letter, and writing sample of no more than five pages to [email protected] with “[Your Name] Education Policy Associate” in the subject line. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Due to the high volume of applications we receive, we regret we are unable to confirm the receipt of your materials or the status of your application. No inquiries by third-party vendors or phone calls please.
The Century Foundation is committed to diversity and building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds. Everyone is encouraged to apply, including LGBTQ+ people, people of color, and people with disabilities.
Director of Finance
New York, NY
The Century Foundation is seeking a Director of Finance. The Director of Finance is responsible for leading a broad range of fiscal and operational duties including: financial, accounting, investment, grants accounting; overseeing audit process; directing HR; lobbying reporting; and other administrative functions. This position reports to the Chief Operating Officer with a Finance and HR Manager reporting to him/her and will work out of TCF’s New York City office. TCF is a nonprofit, 501(c)(3) public charity.
Fiscal, Compliance, and Reporting Duties
- Directs all financial and accounting activities, including general ledger, accounts payable/receivable, payroll, audit prep, insurance and tax filings, monitoring of cash flow, investment tracking, and reporting
- Maintains budget-to-actual analysis by grant, project, program, and functional area
- Performs the month-end accounting close process (bank reconciliation, accruals, A/P and A/R subledgers)
- Appraises the organization’s financial position and generates and presents monthly fiscal reports to leadership
- Reviews overall accounting/financial information with leadership, program, and functional teams
- Establishes and implements sound fiscal policies, procedures, and accounting controls with appropriate segregation of duties
- Assists with the registration, reporting, and resolution of all issues and requests involving the organization’s governance, tax, lobbying, and reporting obligations with the IRS and state/local jurisdictions
- Additional financial analyses and hands-on bookkeeping duties, as necessary
Grants Tracking Duties
- Works with the COO and Development Director to ensure that fiscal requirements for grants and contracts are identified, realized, and monitored
- Provides input to the Development staff in the preparation of periodic reports to funding sources
- Oversees the reporting of outstanding funding receivables, on a grant-by-grant basis
- Supervises the monitoring of all contracts to ensure compliance with fiscal and programmatic reporting
- Works closely with auditors and Board Audit Committee on completion of the annual audit
- Prepares supporting schedules, confirmations, and documentation
Human Resources Duties
- Oversees payroll and benefits administration
- Other HR and administrative assignments
Minimum Experience Requirements
- 8-10 years of nonprofit finance, investment accounting, and HR experience
- Hands-on use of Sage or equivalent accounting package
- Foundation grant financial reporting experience a plus
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal skills, and the ability to communicate technical budget and financial information to leadership and staff
Individual Candidate Qualities
- Self-starter, proactive change maker, and able to work independently
- Attention-to-detail, organized, analytical mindset
- Ability to work successfully in a collegial environment, lead/mentor others, and negotiate cross-organizational relationships
- Understanding of and interest in mission-driven organizations
- Handles sensitive information with discretion and good judgment
- Able to be an ambassador representing the organization externally and department internally
- Enjoys working in a small-organization environment that requires high-level interactions as well as hands-on tasks
The Century Foundation is a progressive public policy think tank that seeks to foster opportunity, reduce inequality, and promote security at home and abroad. Founded in 1919 by the progressive business leader Edward Filene, the TCF pursues our mission by conducting timely, nonpartisan research and policy analysis that informs citizens, guides policymakers, and reshapes what government does for the better.
TCF is based in New York, with a satellite office in Washington, D.C. Our fellows come from academia, journalism, and public service, but share a commitment to the TCF’s abiding belief in the power of ideas.
Please submit cover letter and résumé to [email protected] Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. No inquiries by third-party vendors and no phone calls please.
The Century Foundation is committed to diversity and building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds. Everyone is encouraged to apply, including Spanish and Arabic speakers, LGBTQ people, people of color, and people with disabilities.
Part-time Office Intern
The Century Foundation (TCF)—a think tank promoting progressive ideas and innovative practical solutions that advance opportunity, equality, and security—seeks a proactive, self-directed, part-time temporary Office Intern in our Washington, DC office. This is a paid internship.
Position Description Summary:
The part-time Office Intern in DC is responsible for ensuring smooth office operations working with DC staff with the support of New York communications and administrative teams.
Representative Core Responsibilities:
- Basic research assistance (internet, data and legislative searches) for fellows.
- Compile research into spreadsheets, charts, graphs and memos.
- Helping with finalizing research reports (checking references, formatting)
- Participating in meetings and events as appropriate
- Scheduling large meetings (4 plus people)
- Travel reservations
- Scanning receipts, filing reimbursements, and reconciling petty cash
- Researching and adding new contacts to contact lists
- Tracking supplies and ordering with our headquarters in New York
- Opening and sorting mail
- Scheduling repairs with landlord
- Troubleshooting problems with office machines and communications, refilling printer cartridges
- Tidying up common areas (discarding old copies, newspapers and keeping supply room under control)
- Ensuring kitchen is kept clean. Ordering coffee/tea, snacks, etc.
- Ordering food
- Handling room reservations with our building
- Copying materials
- Registering guests
- Publicizing events and developing invite lists
- Helping with personalized outreach
Other duties as required.
- Strong attention to detail, highly organized, able to manage priorities, and meet deadlines
- Familiarity with spreadsheets and data calculations
- Hands-on experience, willing to roll up sleeves to get the job done
- Strong communication skills, both written and oral
- Energetic, flexible, collaborative, supportive, and proactive
- Able to work a consistent part-time schedule, e.g., Monday through
- Prefer candidates willing to commit to a September – May internship
The Century Foundation is a progressive public policy think tank that seeks to foster opportunity, reduce inequality, and promote security at home and abroad. Founded in 1919 by the progressive business leader Edward Filene, the TCF pursues its mission by conducting timely, non-partisan research and policy analysis that informs citizens, guides policymakers, and reshapes what government does for the better.
TCF has offices in New York and Washington, D.C. Its fellows come from academia, journalism, and public service, but share a commitment to the TCF’s abiding belief in the power of ideas.
Please submit a cover letter and résumé to [email protected] Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. No inquiries by third-party vendors and no phone calls please.
The Century Foundation is committed to diversity and building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds. Everyone is encouraged to apply, including LGBTQ people, people of color, Spanish or Arabic speakers, and people with disabilities.