Applications Are Open!
Bridges is now accepting applications for new members on a rolling basis. Click here to apply.Apply Now! learn more: Applications Are Open!
Six decades after Brown v. Board of Education, the promise of equal education for all remains elusive. The Bridges Collaborative—a new, first-of-its-kind school integration initiative powered by The Century Foundation—aims to change that.
Despite overwhelming evidence that integrated schools are better for all students, far too many American children still attend schools apart from their peers of different social, economic, and racial backgrounds. More than one-third of students attend schools with student bodies that are almost entirely white or nonwhite, and the federal government has failed to take an active role in promoting integration. Since the 1950s, progress has stalled and, in some cases, reversed.
The Bridges Collaborative is overcoming these barriers by reigniting a nationwide movement for integrated schools and diverse neighborhoods, serving as a hub for practitioners from across the country. Since its launch in 2020, the Bridges Collaborative has worked with leaders from 31 school districts, 17 charter schools and CMOs, and 13 housing organizations, providing them the space and opportunity to learn from one another, build grassroots political support, and develop successful strategies for integration.
Bridges Collaborative Members Map
Learn More About the Bridges Collaborative
The Bridges Collaborative is an initiative of The Century Foundation, a progressive, independent think tank that conducts research, develops solutions, and drives policy change to make people’s lives better.
Vision: An America where every child has the opportunity to attend a school that is diverse, integrated, rigorous and inclusive.
Mission: To dramatically increase the number of students attending diverse, integrated, rigorous and inclusive schools by: fostering authentic collaboration among school and housing partners pursuing integration, providing strategic support to practitioners using research and policy, and influencing the national dialogue on school integration.
In the News
- Articles about the Bridges Collaborative’s mission and launch in Chalkbeat, EducationDive, Education Week, and The 74 Million
- Op-Ed in USA Today by Bridges Collaborative Director Stefan Lallinger on School Integration in the George Floyd Era
- “Why the Bridges Collaborative is So Important to Me” by Bridges Collaborative Director Stefan Lallinger
- “Howard County Public Schools’ Approach to Redistricting for Integration”
- “Yu Ming Charter School Leverages the Dual-Language Model for School Integration”
- “A New Model for Combating Housing Segregation Post-Pandemic”
- “How the Roaring Fork School District Empowers Immigrant Families”
- “Intentional Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Practices at Boston Collegiate Charter School”
- “NestQuest Houston’s Housing Mobility Program Centers Educational Opportunity”
- “Approaches to Integration in North Carolina”
- “Exploring Intentional Progressive Pedagogical Practices at Compass Charter School”
Donate: Contribute to the urgent mission of making America’s schools more integrated. Click this link to donate and be sure to mention the Bridges Collaborative in the note box.
Who are the experts behind the Bridges Collaborative?
Stay Informed on the Collaborative’s Work
Sign up for our mailing list to receive updates and announcements.
TCF Resources on Integration
- Look up data on school segregation in your metro area.
- Explore school integration efforts across the country.
- Read about effective messaging strategies to build support for school integration.