Last week, the MacArthur Foundation awarded TCF fellow Harold Pollack the Award for Creative and Effective Institutions, along with his University of Chicago partner Jens Ludwig. This award is given out annually. Pollack and company received $1 million from the Foundation to pursue their interests, likely in Chicago's gun crime.
DNAInfo has more here.
Political "scandal" and finger-pointing had quite the month following President Obama's interview with Fox News' Bill O'Reilly. Blogger Zachary Bernstein outlines the latest instances of the GOP stretching the truth, specifically how they are affecting public policy.READ MORE
TCF fellow Harold Pollack was referenced in Chicago Magazine in a piece about shifts in education pedagogy and curriculum.
I’ll have much more on this next week, but the One Summer Plus program that [Sara] Heller (and lead investigator Harold Pollack) are studying indicates an interesting turn in American education, a synthesis of two very old trends in a new, data-driven era: character education and vocational education.
Read more here.
"By now, virtually everyone has heard that actor Philip Seymour Hoffman died last Sunday of an apparent heroin overdose. What fewer people know is that, on the same day, roughly 100 other Americans also likely died from drug overdoses -- statistically speaking."
Read more at Wonkblog.
"Americans consume 99% of world’s supply of hydrocodone, with the rest of the human race accounting for only 1%. Each year, U.S. health care professionals write more prescriptions for opioids than there are adults in the country."
Read more here.
President Obama signed the 2014 Farm Bill today, locking in more than $8 billion in cuts to the nation's food stamp program. As many as 850,000 households will see their benefits drop by an average $90 per month when the law goes into effect. Benjamin Landy discusses why this happened.READ MORE
Compared to other advanced nations, America’s retirement security and health care systems offer weaker protections against risks we all face. The Century Foundation’s work focuses on ideas for strengthening Social Security, pensions, and health care – including steps for building on the Affordable Care Act.
Sign up for our mailing list and stay up to date on the latest happenings at The Century Foundation