*Please Note: The livestream will begin on this page at the time of the event. If stream is not working or visible, please refresh your browser.
Since 2003, Iraq has served as both a test lab and a model for new approaches to religion, politics, and power. What factors beyond sect and religion explain politics and the pursuit of power?
Join Century International on Wednesday, October 11 at 10:00 AM to hear Sajad Jiyad, Taif Alkhudary, Maria Luisa Fantappie, and Renad Mansour share their findings from a new volume, Shia Power Comes of Age: The Transformation of Islamist Politics in Iraq, 2003–2023.
- Moderator: Thanassis Cambanis, director, Century International
- Sajad Jiyad, fellow, Century International, and director, Iraq Bridge
- Taif Alkhudary, research officer, Middle East Centre at London School of Economics
- Renad Mansour, Iraq program director, Chatham House
- Maria Fantappie, head of Mediterranean, Middle East, and Africa program, Istituto Affari Internazionali
Live CART and ASL interpretation will be provided.
- Shia Power Comes of Age: Order or download the book
- Shia Politics Working Group: Read all the Century International reports
- Shia Power on Order from Ashes podcast: Listen on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, or Podbean
Presented by The Century Foundation’s Century International.
Sajad Jiyad leads Century International’s Shia Politics project. He is also managing director of Iraq Bridge, an Iraqi nongovernmental organization.
Taif Alkhudary is a research officer at the London School of Economics Middle East Centre.
Renad Mansour is director of the Iraq program at Chatham House.
Maria Fantappie is head of the Mediterranean, Middle East, and Africa program at Istituto Affari Internazionali.
Thanassis Cambanis is an author, journalist, and director of Century International.