*Please Note: The livestream will begin on this page at the time of the event. If stream is not working or visible, please refresh your browser.
The climate crisis is already here—and it has struck Iraq with particular force. What can policymakers and researchers learn from the cases of Iraq and its neighbors in order to identify viable action plans?
Join Century International online Wednesday, September 6 from 9:00 AM to 10:00 AM ET as fellow Zeinab Shuker and members of the climate working group explore the desperate water shortage hobbling Iraq, and measures that might help.
- Thanassis Cambanis, director, Century International
- Moderator: Zeinab Shuker, fellow, Century International
- Maha Yassin, research fellow, Institute of Regional and International Studies (IRIS)
- Husam Sobhi, founder, Iraqi Green Observatory
- Safaa Khalaf, Iraqi investigative journalist and independent researcher
- Mac Skelton, executive director of the Institute of Regional and International Studies (IRIS) at the American University of Iraq, Sulaimani (AUIS)
Live CART and ASL interpretation will be provided.
- Century International Report: “The Deep Roots of Iraq’s Climate Crisis” by Zeinab Shuker
- Working Group Papers
- Commentary: “Iraq Is Overheating. How Can It Mitigate the Effects of Climate Change?” by Zeinab Shuker
- Podcast: “Facing Iraq’s Climate Catastrophe” by Zeinab Shuker and Thanassis Cambanis
Presented by The Century Foundation’s Century International.
Thanassis Cambanis is an author, journalist, and director of Century International.
Zeinab Shuker leads Century International’s new project, “Living the Climate Emergency: Lessons from Iraq.” She is also an assistant professor at Sam Houston University.
Maha Yassin is a research fellow at the Institute of Regional and International Studies (IRIS) based at the American University of Iraq, Sulaimani, specializing in environmental policy, climate security, and activism in Iraq.
Husam Sobhi is a biologist and environmental activist specializing in Iraq. He is the founder of the Iraqi Green Observatory.
Safaa Khalaf is an award-winning Iraqi investigative journalist and independent researcher reporting on Iraq and the Middle East region.
Mac Skelton is the executive director of the Institute of Regional and International Studies (IRIS) at the American University of Iraq, Sulaimani (AUIS) and a research fellow at King’s College London.