What would it take to build a high wage America?
The Century Foundation’s Bernard L. Schwartz Rediscovering Government Initiative and the Economic Policy Institute invite you to attend an upcoming summit focused on how to raise wages for American workers and revitalize communities in our nation’s industrial heartland.
Vice President Joe Biden
A lifelong fighter for working families, Biden will share ideas on how to strengthen the middle class and expand opportunities for families across the country.
Senator Kirsten Gillibrand
Sen. Gillibrand (D-NY) will focus on ways that the federal government can help rebuild American manufacturing and raise wages for all workers.
Vice President Biden and Senator Gillibrand will be joined by of experts, policymakers, business owners, and advocates from across the country. Leaders will report back on lessons learned from TCF’s yearlong “High Wage America” tour through Pennsylvania, Ohio and Illinois, and will present concrete policies that federal lawmakers can use to raise wages, help revitalize manufacturing, and strengthen local communities in the Midwest and beyond. The Economic Policy Institute will also release new research on U.S. wage trends at the event.
September 13, 2018
9:30am – 2:00pm
The United States Navy Memorial
Naval Heritage Center, Burke Theatre
701 Pennsylvania Ave NW
Washington, DC 20004
- 9:30 AM: Welcome Remarks and High Wage America Video Presentation
- 9:45 AM: Senator Kristen Gillibrand
- Introduction by Mark Zuckerman, President, The Century Foundation
- 10:10 AM: Panel 1: What happened to America’s industry and what can we do about it?
- Moderator: David Robinson, Director of Communications and Organizing, Manufacturing Renaissance
- Thea Mei Lee, President, Economic Policy Institute
- Susan Helper, Frank Tracy Carlton Professor of Economics, Weatherhead School of Management, Case Western Reserve University
- Stephen Herzenberg, Executive Director, Keystone Research
- Andrew Stettner, Senior Fellow, The Century Foundation
- David Wilhelm, Partner and CSO, Hecate Energy, LLC
- 11:15 AM: Break
- 11:45 AM: Remarks by Jeff Madrick, Director, The Century Foundation’s Bernard L. Schwartz Rediscovering Government Initiative
- 11:50 AM: Panel 2: How can America be a high-wage society?
- Moderator: Adriana Kugler: Professor, Georgetown University McCourt School of Public Policy
- Eileen Appelbaum, Co-Director, Center for Economic and Policy Research
- Josh Bivens, Director of Research, Economic Policy Institute
- William E. Spriggs, Chief Economist, AFL-CIO, Professor, Department of Economics, Howard University
- Sanjukta Paul, Assistant Professor of Law, Wayne State University
- 1:00PM: Vice President Joe Biden
- Introduction by Randi Weingarten, President, American Federation of Teachers
- 1:40 PM: Lunch and Program End